Original Post
Not much is going on in our little corner of the world, aside from taking care of a sick hubby and preparing for a little birthday get together. I can't believe we are coming up on the little guy's first birthday. It really has gone by so incredibly fast. My main goals this week are to order the birthday cake and prevent Jeffrey from catching his Daddy's nasty cold. I refuse to reschedule because the guest-of-honor is sick.
Oh, since I've been in this domesticated diva mode I decided to try something else. I mentioned in my last post that I made a red velvet cake with the help of Betty Crocker. Well, last night I was bored because both of the boys were in bed by 7 so I got creative. I made a red velvet cake from scratch. I'm so looking forward to dessert tonight! It should be yummy! I even made homemade cream cheese icing! I don't know what's gotten into me lately, but this Suzy Homemaker stuff is fun! Next thing you know I'll be buying a sewing machine.
And just to prove that it was really homemade:
I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but here it is in the layering stage.

Yummy homemade icing!!
Please note that I will not be making Jeffrey's birthday cake. I'm buying that bad boy from Publix because they'll give me a free smash cake. No, I'm not going to be a little piggy and eat two cakes this week. I'll have one slice tonight and then I'm sharing with my co-workers tomorrow because they don't believe that I can actually make a cake from scratch!
7 comments:
Man Lu, that looks Yum-O!! You should definantly make his cake next year.
I haven't a clue about the cake. But it sure does look yummy. Glad to hear hubby is feeling some better.
Thank goodness, I was going to boycott if we got a homemade cake....you know how I hate homemade things.
oh i am impressed that you even attempted to bake. i am not a baker. trust me. i just posted about my skills seriously lacking in this area yesterday.
my poor daughter wants to learn to bake so badly...i try, i really do.
Good for you making your own cake from scratch. This girl lets betty crocker take care of that or the grocery store. I give you props. Hope hubby feels better soon. Baby in bed at 7? how?
Definitely go light on the flour - if you notice that the batter is breaking away from the bowl - that means too much flour. I always add a smidge more sugar that called for just to make sure it is a sweet cake.
Look at you go. I made A & E's cake last year & this year and whew! I was totally stressed out. Publix is the way to go!!!
Post a Comment