Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We're a Pretty Crafty Pair

Apparently the hubby and I are craftier than we give ourselves credit for. Over the past few weeks we've been finishing up J.K.'s big boy room so that we can finally focus on the nursery. The big boy room is complete, minus a few pictures being hung, and we've ordered the bedding for the nursery. We're hoping to have her room complete before she gets here. She'll be in our room for the first couple of months so we're not getting into a huge rush.

So, how are we so crafty? First, J's room has a transportation theme and hubby really wanted to incorporate airplanes in the decor. So he came up with the idea to create this lamp:
Photobucket

He purchased the lamp, which is like those that you see in dorm rooms on every college campus. Rather than using all of the multi-colored globes, he replaced three of them with retro model airplanes and then added the blue and yellow globes on the other two lights to coordinate with room colors. I was impressed and J.K. loves it!

As for me and my craftiness, I needed a baby girl cover for the Boppy pillow. However, I really didn't want to pay full price for a new one. So I got the idea to find a pattern and make my own. Here's how it turned out:
Photobucket

Not too bad for the first try. The pattern called for a zipper, however I've never sewn a zipper a day in my life so I decided to go with buttons. My sweet neighbor allowed me to raid her antique button stash and I love the oyster shell buttons she let me use.
Photobucket

I can't wait to use this fun cover with baby Chelsea!

In addition to the super cool airplane lamp, the hubby built shelves for all of J.K.'s toys for his new room.
Photobucket
We can't pull him out of his room these days. He's always playing with something in there.

Oh, and we can't forget the big boy bed:
Photobucket
Now, if we can just convince him to sleep through the night without sneaking into our room at 2 a.m. we'll be doing great!!

5 comments:

Lianne said...

I am in LOVE with your Boppy pillow. Yes, indeed, I have severe Boppy envy!

Y'all are just too creative!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You are talented! I adore that lamp, so creative, I might have to copy that idea. If i were creative.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Wow, you are some crafty folks! I love your sewing skills & I love J's new room!

Becca said...

I AM LOVING the mess out of your boppy pillow cover! You should definitely try to sell those!! I like the button idea so much more than a zipper too!!

JK's room is very cute too. Love the lamp idea!

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh my word. So cool. I love the lamp and the fabric you picked out for the boppy is amazing. I love it! Great job. I love the color of his toddler bed too.