Saturday, October 6, 2012

31 Days of Letting Go (Day 5) - A Road Trip

My Mom and I took a road trip to North Alabama for a funeral service yesterday. While a long drive for a funeral could be a somber time, my Mom and I made the best of it. We were happy for our cousin because he was no longer suffering from cancer, he was finally at peace.

On our way home from the service Mom and I enjoyed a few stops along the way. We stopped by a small boot store that we'd noticed on our way to Cherokee, AL. When we walked in we met the most sincere older gentleman. He told us that he was closing his doors and everything was marked to sell. We spent a bit of time chatting with the nice man about his shop, the price of leather, the economy and what he'd be doing after he closed the doors and retired. While I didn't find myself any cowboy boots, I did find a cute little pair for JK. He's going to be so excited on Christmas morning. (This is the earliest I've ever purchased a Christmas present, but it wasn't on purpose.)

As we drove further down the road we stopped by the Dutch Oven Bakery outside of Cullman, AL. Oh my heavens, if you are ever anywhere near this place you MUST stop in. It's owned by an Amish family and everything is baked in a dutch oven. They sell everything from Raisin Bread to Okra Chips, which Mom described as a food texture experience when eaten. They were...ummm..interesting.

After our stop at the Amish Bakery we scooted on down the interstate and stopped by Jack's Western Wear in Cullman (we were on a mission to find some cowgirl boots). Holy Manoly people! I've NEVER seen so many boots a day in my life. Everything from true cowboy workin' boots to bedazzled cowgirl boots. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that owning a pair would be a major investment and the hubby wouldn't be happy if I dropped $300 on some boots. However, I didn't leave empty handed, Little Miss Chel will also be a proud new owner of some cowgirl boots on Christmas morning (too bad big girl boots aren't as affordable as little girl boots). Maybe Santa will surprise me with a pair. Santa, if you're reading this, yes, that was a hint!

Once we finally hit the road for our final stretch back home I looked over and saw the most beautiful sunset. The forest was adorned in a sea of orange, yellow and green as the leaves are starting to change. The colorful leaves were topped with a horizon of purple, orange, red and yellow as the sun was setting. It was a heavenly gift from God to see such a sight. I wish I'd taken a picture.

Yesterday I spent the day remembering the life of a family member, making the best of a trip to a funeral and letting go of the sadness that would typically come with such a journey. We let go of schedules and enjoyed meeting friendly strangers along the way. It was a good day.

No comments: