Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 Days of Letting Go - Of Being Okay (Day 4)

As I was thinking about this challenge, I was beginning to think that maybe I've set myself up for only being able to write about grief and all that goes with it. However, that's not necessarily the case. Yes, for me "letting go" does often relate to the grieving process, but that's not what it's always about. Somedays I need to let go of the stressful day at work. There are moments when we have to let go of an argument with a spouse. Sometimes we have to force ourselves to let go and finally forgive that person we never thought we'd be able to forgive. We all have to move on and let go of so many things everyday of our lives. It's just a part of being human. 

Today I want to talk about being "okay." Have you ever been in a situation where you knew you felt like you had to force a smile to convince the world that everything is still as it should be? Maybe you lost your job. It could be that your marriage is on the verge of collapsing. You could be uncertain of your health. Or maybe it's just a bad day. Regardless of the reason, most of us feel this constant demand to be "okay" all of the time. Even when we're not. 

I'll let you in on a little secret. It's okay to not be okay. One of the days when I felt most at peace was when I answered, "No, I'm not okay," when someone asked if I was. It was as if a huge weight had been lifted. My friend looked at me kind of strangely for a moment, but then sat and listened to what I was feeling. We are so afraid to admit that life isn't going as we wish because we either don't want to face our reality by talking about it or we're afraid the person asking doesn't want to hear about it. We may be right about both, but when we're talking to a true friend about how we're really feeling they'll listen. By the end of the conversation we feel at peace and the friend is grateful for our willingness to be so honest.

So the next time a friend or loved one asks, "Are you okay?" Be honest, with them and yourself. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: