This one is for my sister.
I love my sister more than words can express, however I can't say that I've always shown it. I know I haven't been the big sister I should be. It's always been a running joke in our family about how different the two of us are. While this was something that our family found funny, I really believe it kept us from being as close as we could have been. It was as if we were trying to fit this standard of who our family and friends were labeling us to be.
She and I have both been down difficult roads in our early adulthood. Much more difficult than most people in their 20s and 30s. I won't go into all of it here because she and I both know the stories, but I can say that initially those hard times kept us further apart, when we should have been leaning on each other, because we are SISTERS and that's what sisters are supposed to do. I failed to do my part. I judged her instead of hugging her, I got mad when we should have been crying on each others' shoulders. I guess you could say we've been through a lot, but kept our distance.
However, things have changed between the two of us. I'm not sure that there was one moment in particular, but I know that we can be together and spend our time laughing rather than snapping at each other for no apparent reason. We say "I love you," and mean it with all sincerity. We spend a lunch date with Mom talking and laughing so much that Mom can't get a word in edgewise. Our kids love being cousins and my two think they are the coolest people on the planet.
It may come as a surprise when I say I don't regret how we treated each other before. I don't regret it because I know that you have to make it through the storm in order to enjoy the rainbow. I'm enjoying the rainbow of my sweet sister's smile. I love seeing her growing more beautiful everyday. I think it's great that my baby sister has taught her big sister so much about motherhood.
I guess you can say that I've let go of my childish ways and grown up to appreciate everything about my sister.
I love you Cookie.
1 comment:
Your story touches my heart. I have a sister and she is dear. Thanks for sharing your journey. Stopping by from #31days.
Post a Comment