Monday, December 21, 2009

Oh the Things We'll Do for Our Children

My Mom has a saying that always makes me laugh and sigh at the same time. "I always thought that you just got pregnant and nine months you had a baby." Well, that is the case for the majority of Moms, but not this one or many others like me.

On Friday we took step one in doing all we can to ensure this baby gets a full nine months to grow into a healthy and happy bundle of joy. It was time to place the cervical cerclage, or stitch in the cervix. The goal is for this little stitch to reinforce the cervix so that it may be strong enough for me to carry until at least 36 weeks. It worked with J.K. and we're confident it will work again. It was a quick surgical procedure and after spending the night in the hospital for observation I was back in the comfort of our home on Saturday. We were able to have another ultrasound after surgery (this is #5 and I'm only 14 weeks, high risk has its perks) and everything looked great. There is a risk of miscarriage with the procedure so we were all relieved to see a busy little baby on that screen. The only major downside is that I'm stuck in bed or for the rest of the week. Yes, that means that I'm restricted during the week of Christmas. Luckily I have been given permission to visit my parents on Christmas Day, but I'll just be hanging out on the couch.

So where do we go from here? Well, step two is weekly P-17 shots starting in about two-three weeks. I know you're all jealous! After that it's bed rest starting at 22 weeks. I'm hoping that the contractions will stay at bay and we won't have to use medication to control them, but that's always a possibility. This all sounds very overwhelming when I actually put it on paper, but it's really not that bad. We'll just take one step at a time and before we know it we'll have a healthy baby.

But you know, I am kinda curious to know what it's like to "just get pregnant and have a baby nine months later"! :)

5 comments:

Becca said...

Oh man! I am sooo sorry you have to go through all of that. I know you know how worth it it all is though! I am glad that the procedure went smooth and that there was one little bouncy baby in there!

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow I have never heard of that...but whatever it takes to keep the baby safe and healthy...that is what we as mommies must do. Take it easy and have a blessed Christmas.

angie said...

Bless you! Sending prayers your way. Merry Christmas.

Rachel said...

Wow! That's amazing...thank goodness for medical advances to allow for all of that!!

Our hard part was the getting pregnant part. It was more like "Start trying, and three years later you'll have a baby, with some tests and medications somewhere in the mix."

Meredith, mom of 2 under 2 said...

Even when it's not high risk...there's no such thing as just having a baby!!! You're a good Mommy taking such good care of the little angel in there! Take it easy!!