Monday, December 22, 2008

Spreading Christmas Cheer to Those Who Need it Most


The Footprints crew with Santa and his helpers.

I had the opportunity this past Saturday to visit the St. Vincent's NICU with Footprints Ministry to spread some Christmas cheer. The group you see pictured above, along with my Mom, the Hubby, and the Pastor's wife, were all on hand to share God's love and peace. Santa visited with each of the babies and left a precious stocking full of baby goodies for each little one.

While there we had the opportunity to meet a family who's baby is extremely ill. She has a severe heart defect and will need many surgeries during the first 18 months of her life and possibly a heart transplant. The mother is very young and still in shock because she didn't know her baby was sick until she was two days old. When we visited on Saturday she was three days old. The entire family is very tired, very scared and just feels helpless. When your saying your prayers please remember this family. They need all of the peace and hope they can get.

During our visit I had the opportunity to speak to one of Olivia's doctors for the first time since we were in the hospital. I don't know that she really remembered us, but it was nice to see her again now that my grieving process has transformed into the healing process. We're at a new spot in life and it is such a wonderful feeling to know that we can give a bit of hope to these families who feel hopeless. My biggest prayer is that they all know God's peace. It really was and is the only thing that has sustained me over the past couple of years.

We are still collecting items for the gift bags that are given to these families. If you're interested in helping us out please let me know!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Kate said...

So good that you did that.

On a separate note, a much sadder note....my neighbors (our parent's age) have a daughter who is around 22. Lauren, the daughter, had a daughter 3 months ago and she, baby and the baby's daddy are all living with her parents. The baby passed away today, SIDS is suspected. Please keep all of them in your prayers. Lu, you can pray for her in a way that I can't.

He & Me + 3 said...

What a wonderful post! I think this is just awesome! I will keep that baby in my prayers.

Mrs.B said...

Lu, You are such an inspiration to me. I admire your faith in God and your spirit of optimism. I pray that maybe I can be like you!

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Just stopping by to say hello. Your header always makes me smile. That's so cool about going to the NICU. I'm sure your heart is very full after that visit.

Have a merry Christmas!
Sandy

The Ellis Family said...

Lu, I am so glad that you have met Nicole. I think she (and this ministry) fit you so wonderfully! Merry Christmas my friend. Kelly

Tara Bennett said...

What a great way to spread cheer and charity. You're awesome!

I hope you have yourself a Merry little Christmas!

Thanks for supporting kidz.

Tara

sassy stephanie said...

Oh chills. I have chills. What a great thing to do.