About a month ago I was at the doctor with the hubs. As I was sitting in the waiting room I noticed a new mother and her baby. The baby was adorable, as all babies are, and the new mom was in awe with her little bundle. After a while we began chatting. You know, the normal "your baby is too cute" conversation. At some point, she shared with me that the baby had spent a couple of months in the NICU due to being diagnosed with meningitis soon after birth. Naturally, I told her about Footprints Ministry. After a few minutes into our conversation it was obvious she was in need, so as she and her mother (the baby's grandmother) were leaving I gave her my contact information and told her to please let me know if I could do anything to help her.
Fast forward a few weeks. I received a call from the young mom. She wanted to know if Footprints offered assistance for those who need help at Christmas. I told her we did and asked what she needed. Doing her best to hold back the tears, she told me she knew her child was just a baby, but she really wanted to have presents for her on Christmas. My heart was so heavy for her and I agreed to do what I could and within a few minutes of sending an email about the situation, we found a volunteer who was willing to help. The volunteer and her entire office stepped up to take care of this family.
Fast forward to yesterday. Arrangements were made for the family to pick up their Christmas items from the volunteer's office. When they arrived the mom and grandmother were shocked to see all of the wonderful items these angels had provided for them, from baby clothes and diapers galore, to a winter coat that was so desperately needed for the mom, this family felt the love of Christ through the generosity of others.
Before leaving the office, the mom shared with our volunteer that a week ago she and her mother had made the decision to follow Christ!
The more I learn about life, the more I realize it's about listening. It's about being a friend to a stranger. It's about sharing and realizing that we're all in this together. But most importantly it's about hearing what He's asking us to do and doing it.
I don't believe it was by coincidence she and I were in the same waiting room that night. I was tired, I was worried about my husband and wondering what I was going to cook for dinner. The last thing I wanted to do was engage in a conversation with a stranger. However, something told me to talk to her and to listen to what she had to say. So I did and I'm forever grateful. For their story has renewed my faith.
2 comments:
How amazing and inspiring!! Thanks for sharing!! I've been praying to have more opportunities to be used in people's lives. I hope that God sends some my way, also!
Praying to have more opportunities to be used in people's lives. I hope that God sends some my way
ASICSGel-260TRW
Post a Comment